Monday I made Taco Pie
Tues. we had leftovers
Wed. I made a crockpot chicken recipe from my Fix-It and Forget-It Cookbook with Popovers and Sweet Potatoes
Thurs. - BBQ Pork Chops in the Crockpot with Twice Baked Potatoes
Fri. - Turkey and Rice Casserole
Sat. - Frozen Pizza
Sun. - Leftovers
As usual, I am posting a couple recipes I'd like to try:
Crockpot Lasagna from Oprah.com
Boston Brown Bread
Fix-It and Forget-It Diabetic Cookbook, p. 249 Jean Butzer, Batavia, NY
Makes 21 servings (3 loaves)
Ideal slow-cooker size: 6-qt.
3 16-oz.vegetable cans, cleaned and emptied
½ cup rye flour
½ cup yellow cornmeal
½ cup whole wheat flour
3 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
¾ tsp. salt
½ cup chopped walnuts
½ cup raisins
1 cup low-fat buttermilk*
⅓ cup molasses
1. Spray insides of vegetable cans, and one side of 3 6"-square pieces of foil, with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
2. Combine rye flour, cornmeal, whole wheat flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
3. Stir in walnuts and raisins.
4. Whisk together buttermilk and molasses. Add to dry ingredients. Stir until well mixed. Spoon into prepared cans.
5. Place one piece of foil, greased side down, on top of each can. Secure foil with rubberbands or cotton string. Place upright in slow cooker.
6. Pour boiling water into slow cooker to come halfway up sides of cans. (Make sure foil tops do not touch boiling water).
7. Cover cooker. Cook on Low 4 hours, or until skewer inserted in center of bread comes out clean.
8. To remove bread, lay cans on their sides. Roll and tap gently on all sides until bread releases. Cool completely on wire racks.
9. Serve with butter or cream cheese and bowls of soup.